How to apply for a weapons permit in Tama County
How to Apply
To request a weapons permit, applicants must meet the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724 and complete the following steps:
- Fill out the appropriate application from the list above, including your signature and date of signing.
- Please note, applications must be filed with the sheriff in your county of residence. Applications are also available at the Sheriff’s Office for your convenience.
- It's important you include a phone number on your application so we may get ahold of you if any questions arise.
- Gather supporting documents (see documents list below).
- Bring your completed application and supporting documents to the Tama County Sheriff's Business Office, open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. (excluding holidays).
- Permits will be mailed to the address provided on the application. Permits are mailed from Des Moines in a plain envelope and take three to four weeks for delivery. If there is an issue with approving your permit, you will be notified personally or by mail within 30 days.
If renewing a permit, you need to apply within 30 days before or after your permit expires. After that, you will need to apply for a New Permit.
Regardless of the 30-day grace period to renew after expiration, your permit is invalid once it expires. You may not carry a weapon in a way that requires a permit until it is renewed.
If you hold a permit issued on or after 1/1/2011, you are not required to provide proof of additional training to renew your permit, but it is encouraged.
Required Application Documents
- Completed application form
- Color copy of the front of your driver's license or non-driver identification card with your current Tama County address
- If you do not have a license or ID card, we require a photo ID (such as a passport) and a recent utility bill with your name and current address.
- Training Certificate* or DD-214 (New Permits only)
- Check or money order made out to Tama County Sheriff's Office for the type of permit needed (see fees below). Cash is also accepted in-person.
- Copy of most recent permit (renewal only)
*Training must have taken place within the last two years. Military training with honorable discharge is accepted (DD-214 required). If currently in the military, please provide proof of Basic Training and Small Firearms Training.
- New Permits | $50
- Renewal | $25
- Duplicate | $25
- Permit to Acquire | $25
Uniform Permit Cards
Weapons permit cards are now uniform in size, appearance, and content throughout the state of Iowa. They do not include a photograph and may no longer be used as ID.